Is your FARM DISCONNECTED from the grid?
WIND POWER can be your solution!
What Small Wind Turbines are?
A wind turbine converts wind energy into electricity. The kinetic energy of the wind is captured through the windmill blades and transferred to a rotor normally connected to a three phase alternator which converts the rotational mechanical energy into electricity.
There are many types of wind turbines in terms of its form, function and size. In this post I will focus on the conditions to install a micro or mini horizontal axis wind turbine (vertical blades) for isolated applications.
Note to install a micro wind turbine.
Before deciding to mount a stand-alone windmill on your farm, keep in consideration the following:
- See a map of winds in your area. The minimum annual average wind year-round should be above 4 to 5 m/s for the installation to be profitable.
- These maps are inaccurate for small wind zones, so you have to find a high place of land near your farm (eg a hill) to have more wind.
- You have to put the mill on a mast as high as possible (eg 10m or 25m), with the possibility to access the turbine for installation or repair. It can be a tower with ladders or swing mast guy wires.
- The wind turbine must be at a distance of more than twice the height of any obstacle that disrupts the wind and over 10m of this.
- Although wind turbines are more silent, you should put the windmill mast relatively remote from the building and don’t install above a roof since you’ll notice vibration.
- Wind turbines almost no need maintenance, but caution is looking for a supplier who can supply you spare parts.
- When searching for a mini windmill, select the ones that starts its production with a gentle breeze (3m / s), continue to produce electricity in very strong winds (some stops completely to produce) and are hurricane proof.
Be realistic. You will need support systems.
Even in the best windy sites, there are always days or weeks of calm. How you will have electricity if the wind turbine is the only electric generator? You will need an additional system of accumulation and generation:
- Accumulation Batteries.- Calculate the capacity of the battery for the maximum windless days they can continue to supply the accumulated electricity. Although it may not be enough.
- Hybrid Systems: Wind power + solar photovoltaics. – If there is no wind, there will probably day sun to charge the batteries. You have already calculated the energy you consume daily (in Wh/d), and to reach this daily energy you need for example a total installed capacity of 4000 W. In hybrid systems each technology should be capable of generating 75% alone. That is, a 3000 W wind turbine (75%) of the total power required and a 3000 Wp PV system. Area according to these percentages may change. With an hybrid system you can save some battery capacity.
- Fuel generator as backup system. – It is very common to take advantage of the existing diesel generator to charge batteries in the absence of wind. You need only set the generator to launch between 40% load and stops to reach 60% charge of the batteries, so you always leave space to load with the wind turbine if the wind starts blowing. This also allows to save some battery capacity.
Where do I begin to install a wind turbine?
- Energy savings. – Before calculating the power of the wind turbine you need, go to bottom of all electrical consumption in your building alone. For example, changing incandescent light bulbs with low-energy, make sure your fridge is a very low consumption arcon, etc.. This previous work of energy efficiency, always profitable, will allow you to install the most appropiate wind turbine for isolated use.
- See if you meet all the above recommendations: wind, height, support systems, etc..
- Find a renewable energy professional in your area you can trust.
What is your experience with isolated small wind turbines for use in the field? Your opinion counts!
- How to save batteries? (4). Increase photovoltaic or wind power production.
- How to save on Electric Batteries? (2). Saving kW and Energy Efficiency.
- How to save on Solar Batteries? (3). Fuel generator.
- How to save Solar Batteries? (and 10). Conclusions.
- Your Country House competing against Electric Line?
- Renewable Energies are Rural, not Urban.
- Renewable energies are fashion…or not.