Is your RURAL home ISOLATED from the electric line?
Variety in the mix generation.
Large networks can provide low cost electricity because they have several technologies that can be supplemented according to needs and best opportunities:
- Nuclear. - They produce at low cost kWh, although little suited to the demand. Radioactive waste and nuclear risks are still unresolved issues.- Fossil fuel power plants (oil, coal, gas, etc..) – They can start and stop, emitting much CO2, but they are the realistic basis in most countries.
- Large Hydropower. - Very competitive cost per kWh depend on the seasonality of water resources and can start and stop fairly easily.
- Great Wind Power. - Mills produce electricity when the wind blows, at an increasingly competitive cost , but they not adapted to the demand curve.
Therefore, each country has a mix of electric generation, with different technologies that work together to get a cost competitive kWh.
Economies of scale
Any of the means of generation of electricity for the grid have a leading feature: its large size. This large dimension allows them to obtain a significant economies of scale in large centralized electricity production. Small domestic installations of renewable energy can not compete against these big facilities in cost per kWh.
Production along all day
The mix of electric generation, all together, adapts timely the kWh production to electricity demand of the whole citizens, businesses, etc.. No need to accumulate electricity.
But for an autonomous system of renewable energy, electricity must be accumulated for the night or when the renewable source (sun, wind, etc) is not available. And I have explained in other posts that accumulate in batteries is expensive.
When installing renewable energy in my home or farm?
If the grid electricity is cheaper and available to any autonomous system, in which circumstances install renewable energy to generate my own electricity?:
A.- When you are completely isolated from the network and can only produce electricity with a fuel generator. Small renewable energies can be then profitable.
B.- If you are connected to the grid, “re-main” still with the mains even if you don’t want. It is your cheaper option. You can not compete against the grid cost.
C.- Your are connected to the mains but, nevertheless, you want to install a photovoltaic or small wind for a few hours a day, keeping the line. Make sure your self-consuming during few hours of the electricity you generate leaves more economical than grid price. And do not expect subsidies because all states are running out of funds.
My conclusion is clear:
If you have power line, forget about renewable energy (up to now).
If you are isolated, go for clean and profitable renewable energy!
Do you think the economic criteria should be more important than the ecological criteria if YOU pay? Thank you for opinion.
- Rural Renewable Energies for FARMERS
- Renewable Energies are fashion…or not
- Publis Aids for Energy Needs, not for Business
- Renewable Energies are Rural, not Urban.
- Ecologist, Idealist, Realistic and Financier.
- How to save on Solar Batteries (and 10). Conclusions
- Study: alternative energy has barely displaced fossil fuels (arstechnica.com)
- Harnessing Renewable Energy in Nigeria (odinakadotnet.wordpress.com)
- German Policy Could Make Solar In America ‘Wunderbar’ (thinkprogress.org)
- From Denmark to Kenya: Wind power fuels renewable energy (r)evolution (sustainablefutures.info)