¿Do you know the Strengths to produce Biogas and natural Fertilizer from organic Waste?
Biogas is mainly metane, much like the butane and propane gas sold in cylinders. Biogas can be used for cooking, lighting and heating. In large farms biogas can produce electricity through generators.
The biol produced is a free natural fertilizer that improves crop yield by up to 30%. It can be poured directly onto the earth to stimulate seed growth or sprayed on leaves.
In the case of dairy cows, the use of fertilizer on forage crops like alfalfa, increases production and quality, reflected in higher milk production.
Burning biogas for cooking does not produce smoke, thus there is no black soot that enters the lungs of women and children. This prevent respiratory diseases, eye irritation and other diseases.
By putting the manure in a biodigester, odours, foci of infection and flies will be eliminated. The decrease in fly population has a direct impact on cows, reducing mastitis.
If each family generates their own fuel for cooking there is no longer any need to cut down trees for firewood, thus reducing pressure on environment.
Workload and cost
Daily or weekly time spend by families to collect firewood, or the money spent on the purchase of fuel in the rainy season, is replaced by 20 minutes a day required for loading the biodigester with fresh manure and water.
Since the technology used is simple, it is accessible to anyone and all materials are available locally. It is enough to follow a few simple instructions to set up a biodigester and understand the technology, daily operation, maintenance and repairs.
The cost of a family digester for cooking depends on size and climate. It could cost around U$D 250 for cold climate or U$D 150 for tropical area. Investment cost are paid back in two to three years by saving fuel, time and improved crop production.
A low-cost digester is simple and accessible technology that has a positive effect on several aspects of family life, income and production. Though is not a solution to many problems, it is a resource that brings may significant improvements.
What is your experience? Can you comments the weaknesses of biodigestors? Your opinion is very appreciate!
- Biogas Kitchen. How to calculate your Biodigester (and III) (albertcampi.me)
- Biogas Kitchen. DIY your Low Cost Biodigester (II) (albertcampi.me)
- Biogas Upgradation (wteconsult.wordpress.com)
- Huo-Long Biogas enters energy market of CIS and Europe (your-story.org)
- Nepal: 40‚000 Biogas Plants Registered For Carbon Trading (chimalaya.org)
- Low-Pressure Storage of Biogas (cleantechsolutions.wordpress.com)
- Biogas and Biomethane Gains Wider Acceptance (bioenergyconsult.wordpress.com)
- Chicken-Manure Biodigester to Power Md. Prison, Wisconsin at Work on $255m Biomass Plant (environmentalleader.com)