In the previous post I explained that in hot weather, cows eat less and produce less milk.
The solution is to cool them with fans, sprinklers or evaporative coolers.
Photovoltaic system to generate electricity for chillers
What happens if you have NO grid electricity on your farm? You can have your cows cool if you install PV modules on the roof !!
Please note the following:
-The solar panels should be oriented to the south (Northern Hemisphere), with an optimum inclination for the hottest period, usually the latitude of the place – 20 degrees. (eg, in latitude 30 º -20 º = 10 º of inclination on the horizontal plates.
– There can NOT be any shadows (eg trees) around the solar tour as may affect the panels. Take care to allow good ventilation of the modules below, no gluing them too near the roof, to minimize the temperature rise that affects their performance.
– The system does not require electric storage batteries, as the fans or evaporators should operate only during the day, with its maximum at solar noon, when it is warmer. Photovoltaic panels are connected directly to the inverter / converter suitable for the electrical characteristics of the fans, who must be able to vary its speed of rotation depending on the intensity of the PV will vary throughout the day.
-A local company, engineer or installer, specialist in solar energy can help you to calculate your sizing and installation.
- If you need to refresh your cows several months a year, it is sure your photovoltaic installation + coolers will increase your milk production and the profitability of your off-grid farm!!!
Do you have examples? How about the proposal? Your opinion interests me !
- Solar Panel: Photovoltaic Module or Solar Thermal Collector? (albertcampi.me)
- Solar power to generate majority of electricity by 2060 (evoenergy.co.uk)